MaryAnn’s quick take: The cast is, on paper, terrific, but there’s nothing engaging in their bloody savagery. A misfire of a supposed action comedy, the mind-numbing mess of Bullet Train is by turns grating, tedious, and infuriating. Read the review…
directed by women
Good Luck to You, Leo Grande movie review: come as you are - Full of honesty and humanity, utterly lacking in shame over a basic human need, the female experience of which is almost universally ignored onscreen. Light, funny, diverting. So why was I bawling?
movies for the resistance
My So-Called Selfish Life documentary review: TFW you lack that certain “maternal instinct” - Dismantles myths about motherhood and misconceptions about child-free women with brisk, cheeky humor and intersectionality, and begins to build the cultural scripts we need for paths without kids.
Passing movie review: the realities and fallacies of race - Everything about this astonishing, just-plain-satisfying film feels like a revelation. Bone-deep subversive yet universal, dripping with a quiet dread yet also beautiful and beautifully wise.
- loaded question: do you think the cancelled Batgirl movie will ever see the light of day?
- weekend watchlist: hacking capitalism
- loaded question: what’s a thing from movies (or books or TV) that you absolutely believed as a kid?
- loaded question: what’s your favorite cultural life hack?
- weekend watchlist: a couple of treasures for Pride Month
get all recent posts starting here
who is maryann, anyway?
- curated: Sarah Polley on Terry Gilliam is a masterclass in how brilliant men get away with their bullshit
- curated: why are movies and TV shows so muddy-looking these days?
- curated: why movie dialogue can be so difficult to hear nowadays
- curated: Oscar Isaac and Timothée Chalamet on playing father and son
- curated: say hello to photographer John Benton-Harris
- curated: the boy who was almost Anakin Skywalker
- curated: “Trailers Use Slower and Moodier New Versions of Classic Songs to Lure Viewers”
- curated: “Loki as Other: Why Do Queer and Female Viewers Love the Trickster?”
- curated: “Arctic thriller’s film crew struggled to find true frozen waste”
- curated: “The San Diego Comic-Con News Generator”