MaryAnn’s quick take: Adam Driver’s intensely focused, utterly unironic performance is the only saving grace of 65, a movie of few ideas and little suspense, mystery, or excitement. There aren’t even that many dinosaurs. Read the review…
directed by women
Blue Jean movie review: cowardice and bravery as matters of survival - A powerful, necessary film, deeply humane and sympathetic, ugly-beautiful in its panic, full of dread and bad behavior. We feel every iota of Jean’s anxiety at closeted life in the homophobic 1980s.
movies for the resistance
My So-Called Selfish Life documentary review: TFW you lack that certain “maternal instinct” - Dismantles myths about motherhood and misconceptions about child-free women with brisk, cheeky humor and intersectionality, and begins to build the cultural scripts we need for paths without kids.
Harry & Meghan: Vol I television review: royal rumble counterpunch - There is little here we did not already know, but this is nevertheless a fascinating counterpoint to royal propaganda. Kudos to Harry’s audacity at being unwilling to perpetuate a noxious paradigm.
- loaded question: would you go to a pub or bar that showed movies (instead of sports)?
- should I post my daily streaming recommendations here too?
- #DailyStream weekly roundup
- loaded question: what’s your favorite Irish-related film or movie tidbit?
- my picks for tonight’s 95th Academy Awards (the Oscars for 2022’s films) (winners indicated)
get all recent posts starting here
who is maryann, anyway?
- curated: Sarah Polley on Terry Gilliam is a masterclass in how brilliant men get away with their bullshit
- curated: why are movies and TV shows so muddy-looking these days?
- curated: why movie dialogue can be so difficult to hear nowadays
- curated: Oscar Isaac and Timothée Chalamet on playing father and son
- curated: say hello to photographer John Benton-Harris
- curated: the boy who was almost Anakin Skywalker
- curated: “Trailers Use Slower and Moodier New Versions of Classic Songs to Lure Viewers”
- curated: “Loki as Other: Why Do Queer and Female Viewers Love the Trickster?”
- curated: “Arctic thriller’s film crew struggled to find true frozen waste”
- curated: “The San Diego Comic-Con News Generator”